Plans were quickly
made for my return. Marcus, showing surprisingly that he might in fact have a
sense of humor however deeply buried, housed Britt in a room adjoining mine. It
seemed that there was no hope of delaying the departure. That gave me only one
day to speak to Alena. I found her in
the field behind the main house. There was a rock there that we had often sat
on together and talked for hours. Now she sat there alone. When she saw me she
smiled.
“Come here Kail
and sit with me.”
I came but did not
sit. “You know I have to go back.”
She nodded.
“And I will have to stay there, perhaps for
years.”
“Of course I
know.” Her voice was very soft.
“I want you to
come with me.”
She looked up
sharply.
“As my wife.”
“Oh Kail.” There
were tears in her eyes and she put her arms around me. “I should have to leave
mother and father and the mountain. I should have to be queen. I should never
again be free. Kail, I’m seventeen. I have so much more I want to do.”
“But Alena I love
you. I would die for you. Does any of that matter if we are in love?”
“You are in love.”
Her voice was not cold only sorrowful. “I do love you but I do not know yet
whether I should not be just as happy loving you as a brother.”
Her words struck
something in deep me and I felt as though I had been punched. I pulled away
from her.
“I love you Alena.
I will always love you. I will come back for you when I can.”
She just looked at
me with her sorrowful grey eyes and it cut deeply that she said nothing about
waiting for me.
Many men have said
they would always love the woman who is at the time the object of their
affection but few maintain their passion. I will swear to anyone that what I
said to Alena on that day was true. I love her still and my love has never
waned. Soon death will come to seal the promise as fulfilled.
Maybe you could have made the dialogue more iconic?
ReplyDelete